Welcome to the Sydney Branch page. The branch where it all began…which holds the largest Hands on Days! From the very humble beginnings when Gary and a few mates got together to take a few disabled people out to now catering for a hundred plus participants and a couple of hundred volunteers – the Hands on Days are huge…exciting and are not to be missed!
Our Hands on Days start before the sun rises and goes long into the afternoon. We are well supported by the majority of other DSA branches, members, local Council, Collaroy Surf Life Saving Club, local community, our hard working volunteers AND our Sponsors and Supporters.
Branch Contact Details
|President: Adrian Van Druten (Ady)
Mobile: 0408 486 010
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
|Secretary: Russell (Rusty) Philips
|Treasurer: Shane Henn
Mobile: 0419 266 385
Email: Shane@theprojectstudio.net.au .
|Committee: Tania & David / Les (Stickies) Cocks & Jenny / Mark (Doc) Farrell /
Gary Blaschke / Prue Egan / Matt McDonald
|Address: PO Box 134 Avalon NSW 2107|
- Saturday 19 November 2017…invitation only event at Collaroy
- Saturday 25 February 2017…register from 9am for a 10am start at Collaroy Beach (south of Collaroy Surf Life Saving Club)
- Sunday 19 March 2017…invitation only event at Palm Beach.
Recent Event / Hands on Day
Collaroy 27th February 2016 – 30 year anniversary
The DSA Celebrates 30 years of providing smiles on dials to the disabled community AND what an awesome day it turned out to be…
With days like these it takes a lot of determined and special people to make this happen and in no particular order the DSA Sydney Branch would like to thank and I apologies if I missed anyone – please let me know and I will update
- JK Hire – Andre and his family for another big year donating the tenant, tables, chairs, bbq, bacon and eggs, sausages, etc – a huge huge effort that is greatly appreciated
- Collaroy Back Packers – great accommodation right across the road from the beach
- Aroma Ki day spa and hair studio (Maryanne) – for letting the DSA use their parking area for storing trailers and our vehicles
- ALL our volunteers – the dedication and hard work is known and appreciated
- ALL the DSA crews from around Australia and NZ
- Balgowlah Bunnings Crew – totally awesome…even supplied us face painters
- Collaroy Surf Life Saving – always there to lend a hand
- Local Council with permits and parking assistance
Pre- dawn set up crew was hard at it when the sunrise over the horizon to revealed a beautiful sunrise. Many (volunteer) hands made light work of the tent city that is required to put on the best event ever…
A big call I know but the event was all the more special with a number of ideas that made the day a CELEBRATION – clowns, slushies’, pop-corn, fairy floss, birthday cake and mini cupcakes not to mention the usual bacon and eggs for breakfast, fresh fruit to get everyone through to sausage sandwiches for lunch.
This year’s format was slightly different to previous years…the pool races were removed that allowed for participant to flow steady across the beach marshalling area for their surf. And what a surf it turned out to be…heavy shore dump made the conditions for our volunteer’s very trying and extremely hard work. At one point a 10 minute break was called to allow all the volunteers to catch their breath and top up on some fluids and a piece of fruit. Then it was back into it to take the remaining participant for their surfing experience.
After taking all the participant out for a surf for the DSA tag team surfing contest has held. Sydney showed that fierce rivalry and determination to win to defend their impressive record of being unbeaten. Unfortunately, some ‘interpretative’ judging allowed NZ to pip Sydney to take hold the annual trophy. Well done to the NZ team…Sydney you have to lift your game next year!
Wrapping up the day saw lots of celebrations, speeches with a few teary moments as well as a birth cake to celebrate 30 years strong – well done to Gary and the whole DSA team. Who would have every thought the DSA would grow to 16 branches around Australia and a branch in NZ from our very humble beginnings.
Let the good times and events roll on. To another 30 years!